Monday, October 14, 2013

Winter Is Coming...

and soon it will be time to stay inside, bundled up in sweats with cups of cocoa.  What will I do as the cold months descend upon us?

A) Reread the entire Song of Fire of Ice series.
B) Cook my husband dinner every night.
C) Start a new, more comprehensive, more reflective blog

If you guessed A, you are tripping.  I finished those books last winter and I am not reading them again. I am saving my energy for the 6th book or the devastating news that George R.R. Martin has died without finishing this story and we will never know who ascends the Iron Throne.

If you guessed B, you are either my husband, a friend of my husband, or someone else's hungry husband.

If you guessed C, you are right and very perceptive as you happen to be reading said blog right now.

This is not my first blog.  No, I've been around the blogging block.  I blog here about our 1:1 iPad program.  I blog here about my trips to China.  Here you can find my amateur poems.  I kind of blog a lot, but I have become convinced I should blog even MORE.  By whom?  Steve Wheeler.  He gives seven reasons teachers should blog.  And it's all about reflecting on our practice in order to better serve our students.

That gets me every time.

This month is Connected Educator Month and there are lots of events both live and online to help teachers use technology for good.  But Justin Baeder made a great point that if your connectedness isn't helping your students, who cares.  Your students don't need you to be a Twitter star.  Get back in the classroom and teach. Or plan. Or assess. Or blog.  Because apparently by blogging, I can become a better teacher.  Or so I hope.

Our technology coordinator keeps quoting John Dewey:

We do not learn from experience...we learn from reflecting on experience.”




Guess it's time to dive in.


However, this blog isn't for you.  It's not even for me.  It's for my students.  And if being connected is all it's cracked up to be, it'll be for your students too.  




No comments:

Post a Comment